Tuesday, January 12, 2010

We Win or Lose by What We Choose

Two elderly people inspired me this week. Last Friday I visited a friend in the nursing home. It saddens me to watch her gradually lose her mobility and mental sharpness. During this visit we talked about my five children and eight grandchildren. She clapped her hands in delight, exclaiming, "We have so much to be thankful for." Her response took my breath away. This dear friend has no children of her own, her husband has passed away, and all her relatives live hundreds of miles away. Visitors are few and far between. She could be bitter, but she has chosen to find joy in the blessings of others. The genuineness of her words penetrated my heart, reminding me of my need to be thankful in all situations. Would I weather old age as gracefully, choosing to find wonder in small things, ignoring the faculties I have lost?

Today I attended a Bible study and met a ninety-nine-year-old lady. She was spry, sharp, and witty. She recently moved to an assisted living center to ease the worries of family members. She had lived in her own home, far away from relatives who worried they wouldn't be nearby to help if she had an accident. She loves her new place despite the fact she must interact with some bitter and depressed people. "I choose not to be that way," she told us. "There are a lot of people here who need to see a smiling face." She chooses, not only to be happy, but to be light in the darkness.

I pondered the contrast between these two women. But the light of God that shined through their choices is what impressed me--choices based not on their circumstances, but on their ability to see God's goodness in an evil world. This kind of sight takes insight. They choose to use their imaginations to see what God sees.

When I choose God, everything else falls into place. Therefore, my primary goal in life is to look up. This is my writing goal, as well--to help others see from God's perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy - I just now found time to find your blog and follow it. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I'm so glad you're blogging! I always felt you have a gift for writing, and can't wait to one day read your book on the underground railroad! I love your posts and can't wait to see what's next! ALL4HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy. I so enjoyed your post. How fortunate we are to have all our family and friends near by. I have been in many nursing homes growing up. To find one patient who is joyful among all the suffering going on around them is rare. Thank you for reminding us of what we have. Like Susan I'm so looking forward to you book. Luv u.

    ReplyDelete