Thursday, August 26, 2010

Reality check

My character, Zach, imagines himself hurtling through space past stars and planets, headed for whatever exciting destiny lays before him. He is rudely awakened from his daydream when his sister yells from the kitchen. Reality check.

I dream of getting published, having a best-seller, and encouraging children in their own journey with God. The truth is, the agent and publisher voices out there bring me back to the real world. It's tough to break into the book market.

I attend workshops, and conferences. My indispensable writer's group friends help me dump adverbs, dialogue tags, unnecessary back story, passive tenses, etc. But good writing isn't enough.(Sigh) You have to be dedicated to your craft. You have to write about a subject people find interesting or entertaining.You have to know how to market your book. And you have to make connections. Relationships in publishing are important. Someone in the business needs to see your talent and recommend you.

In my book, Zach finds Someone who is necessary for him to find his destiny. We all need that essential relationship to find our way. God planned that from the beginning. Our relationshhip with Jesus is key to our final destiny.

At the end of the book, Zach still doesn't know where he's going, but he knows Who is taking him there. Even though I don't know who will publish me, I know Who guides my journey.

1 comment: